Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What Demons Believe...

I'm teaching on the belief of demons tomorrow night at 620--about how we must do more than believe right facts about Jesus. We must trust Him. Reading tonight, I ran across a quote from my all-time favorite preacher, Charles Spurgeon. I've updated it to more current English:

"Do you believe? 'I believe,' says one, and he begins to repeat what they call the 'Apostle's Creed.' Hold your tongue sir! That doesn't matter; the devil believes that, perhaps more intelligently than you do; he believes and trembles. That kind of believing saves no man. You may believe the most orthodox creed in Christendom, and die. Do you trust--for that is the cream of the word 'believe'--do you trust in Jesus? Do you lean your whole weight on him?...This is the faith that saves--faith that falls back into the arms of Jesus, a faith that drops from its own hanging place into those mighty arms."

Wow....Well said!

1 comment:

Becca, Christianity Cove said...

What a powerful, inspiring, articulate point he makes! While this passage may be a little over-the-top for my younger children's ministry students, I definitely appreciate it on a personal level and plan on sharing it with my husband and our friends.