Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Crying Out To Our Father

Stephanie gave birth to our precious son Caleb a week and a half ago, and as many of you know we have had a rough start of things. (That is not a picture of him by the way)....Things are looking up though, and we are happy to report that Caleb might be able to come home tomorrow!

I've been in a funk of sorts when it comes to spending time faithfully in the Word during this span of time. The times I have spent have been extremely helpful in calming my heart and teaching me to trust my Creator--the One who is overseeing all things.

I am a firm believer that God speaks to us most clearly through Scripture, but I also think that the Bible indicates that we can be reminded of truths through experiences as well. And holding my son has taught me so much...

I see myself in him. I have a Father who is holding me, who cares for me, who is always there to provide for me and protect me. Yet far too often I am like Caleb--screaming (inside), worrying, having anxiety after anxiety because to me things seem so uncertain and uneasy. You see, Caleb has a dad--and a mom--who are there to feed him, to change him, to hold him, to love him. Yet in his experience of things, he seems to have such great fears at times. I sit there telling him, "everything is okay. Everything is okay Caleb." But he is blinded to reality.

I am just like my son. I have a loving Father who is there to care, yet I am so uneasy. Unlike Caleb, I have no excuse to persist in this worry and anxiety. Caleb simply can NOT understand the security he has or the love that we have for him. But I CAN understand (not fully, but at least in part) God's love for me, because He's demonstrated it through the life, death, and resurrection of His Son--for my forgiveness and my salvation (Romans 5:8).

God, teach me to find calmness in my heart as I remind myself that I have a loving Father in heaven.

This text has come to mind a lot in recent days. "What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” -Luke 11:11-13

No comments: